Saturday 1 May 2010

Reflective Synopsis

The following Blog is a Reflective Synopsis of the technologies and learning approaches I have investigated over the past 8 weeks. The basis for my Reflective Synopsis is the conceptual frameworks I have encountered throughout the duration of ICTs for Learning Design.

I believe embedding Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) into the classroom is vital for the survival of the 21st Century Teacher. My Blog on 21st Century Teachers compared the difference to 20th Century Teachers, as it outlines the importance of integrating technology into current classrooms as a way to engage students, enhance Mode 2 Knowledge and provide students with authentic learning experiences. Dale's Cone is a prime example as to why we should embed ICTs into all areas of the curriculum. Through creating authentic learning experiences we can utilise technology as a mechanism to transfer learning from teacher-centred to student-centred. This is achievable through incorporating more practical activities, such as Blogging, investigation/ research and application (creating and effectively using Wiki’s to collaborate and complete assessment tasks). All of these forms of digital pedagogies enhance higher order thinking.

The embedding of ICTs also supports learning outside of the classroom. The integration of ICTs and effective digital pedagogies throughout the curriculum encourages learning to take place regardless of differing learning styles, location, emotional intelligence, multiple intelligence or academic ability. The theory of Relate, Create, Donate, suggests that Problem Based Learning and authentic learning environments are effective methods to engage students and enhance participation in 21st century classrooms, however, students require their learning to be purposeful, thus they need to Donate their ideas back to society.

Outlined below are the digital pedagogies I would embed into my ICTs program, as a mechanism to enhance the efficiency of my teaching. I have summarised the ways in which I would use these different forms of technology to enhance the quality of students learning through utilising aspects of engagement theory.

Blogs

I would apply Blogs into my classroom to enhance student learning. I would embed Blogs into all KLA’s. For example, embedding Blogs into an English lesson will allow students to participate in reflective journaling and creative writing online. This in turn creates an online record of their progress throughout the Unit of Work, in addition to highlighting progression throughout their schooling. Students also have the ability to use their Blogs to share interesting articles and to submit assignments. For instance, I might ask my class to research planet Earth and write a report on their Blog. I would instruct students to then provide their reference list as hyperlinks throughout their report, rather than a long list at the end of their page.

Additionally, I would encourage Blogging in the classroom in order for students to enhance their collaboration skills by; sharing notes, ideas and information. Allowing students to Blog develops connectivism and enhancing their opportunities to build networks and partnerships through adding links, sharing videos and engaging in professional discourse by placing relevant points of view on their peers Blogs. This link offers a deeper insight into the effectiveness of Blogs in 21st century education.

Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feeder

As indicated in my Blog, I am enthusiastic about incorporating the use of RSS feeders into my classroom, to coincide with the use of blogs and Wiki’s. In my class, the RSS feeder’s will be used to inform students when new information has been added to Blogs, Wiki’s or school portals (such as Blackboard or Moodle). RSS feeders can then be used to follow topics on the current Unit of Work, thus providing instant notification of changes to important information for teachers and students alike.

Wiki’s

Wiki’s are a great tool to engage students in learning as they take a constructivist approach. Allowing students to create their own webpage and mandate the information and data, permits active student learning, thus students take greater pride in their work. As discussed in my post, I would utilise the extensive benefits that Wiki’s can provide learners through incorporating Wiki’s as tool for students to use when completing group assignments. Wiki’s allow for the collection and collaboration of information all in one location.

Through implementing Wiki’s in the classroom, students reduce their time spent on individual group emails, phone calls and text messages as a way to collect and collaborate information. Wiki’s provide students with a sense of ownership as all participants have an opportunity for equal input. As a teacher I would place assignments, projects and the resources students need on a Wiki, therefore creating an authentic learning experience outside the classroom.

e.Portfolio

My Mahara post outlines all aspects where I would incorporate the use of Mahara into the classroom to enhance student learning and make my teaching more efficient. I would use Mahara in the classroom to enhance student learning by encouraging students to store all their schooling information in one location, from P-12. This would allow students to monitor their progression throughout their schooling career and have the ability to reflect on their own work. Furthermore, I would implement Mahara into my teaching practices to enhance efficiency when planning. I would use Mahara as a storage device and a resource to network with other teachers. My blog emphasised that primary school teachers are seen as having a ‘generalist role’, thus we have to be experts in every Key Learning Area. Through utilising Mahara, teachers can network with one another, in order to share resources, such as lesson plans, ideas, and professional opinions and to seek advice.

Voki Avatars

I would implement Voki’s in my classroom to engage students with Reading Difficulties. Voki’s can be presented as another way to demonstrate speech. For example, I would use a Voki to demonstrate to the class how fluent reading would sound. I would also use a Voki as a ‘hook’ when introducing a new topic to the class, in order to engage the students. Here is an example of how I would effectively implement a Voki.

PowerPoint/ SlideShare

In my classroom PowerPoint would be used as a visual aid to accompany a presentation. As outlined in my Blog I use PowerPoint when introducing a new Unit of Work or concept. I would use it as the focus point to engage students within a subject area that they may be experiencing particular issues with. Likewise, I would use SlideShare to embed PowerPoint presentations into my Blogs (and teach the students how they too can add presentations to their Blogs). I would also use SlideShare as a resource to access relevant PowerPoint presentations that I might be able to use or adapt in the classroom, to save time.

You Tube, Teacher Tube and Video

My Blog on You Tube is a fantastic example of how I would use You Tube (or Teacher Tube) in my classroom to engage students and encourage learning. I would use Video at the beginning of a lesson as a ‘hook’ and show snippets at the end of the lesson to reiterate what we had learnt during the lesson.

Google Earth

I received positive feedback regarding how I would implement Google Earth into my classroom. Joe Wood’s Blog gave me insightful ways as to how I would effectively use Google Earth in the classroom to engage students and enhance their higher order thinking.

I would use Google Earth as a way of creating a virtual tour around the planet. I would allow students to create their own tours, fitting with different topics. For interesting and engaging ways as to how I would implement Google Earth into my classroom please click here.

Wikipedia

Wikipedia is a great way to make teaching more efficient, as outlined in my Blog. Being an online encyclopedia, all information is available free at the click of a button. I would use Wikipedia as starting point for all researched based assignments and any general information students require on a particular topic. Wikipedia is an easy and effective way to get relevant and factual information all in the one location. This saves time and frustration when researching for assessment tasks. Likewise, as learning managers, we can encourage students to start their research process by using Wikipedia as their first port of call for finding information about their desired topic. Through allowing students to use Wikipedia, we can encourage exceptional research skills and stop procrastination through offering them an abundance of knowledge in one vicinity, without the need to go to the library.

Outlined above are only a few examples of digital pedagogies I would implement into my classroom and teaching practices. Throughout the course I also blogged about the effective ways to implement Flickr and Picnik and SMS. However, it is imperative to remember that all students have preferred learning styles and not all students will engage with every digital pedagogy that is implemented into the classroom.

Professional Discourse

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30793586/Records-of-Professional-Discourse-ICTs

No comments:

Post a Comment